Thursday, January 20, 2011

Define: Pouch

Many of you may ask:
                             
What is a pouch, Alissa?

From the dictionary.com website, a pouch, is described as a bag, sack, or similar receptacle, especially one for small articles or quantities. Or for those of you who want a funnier, off-the-wall explaination, just look at urbandictionary.com!

But for those of us who have had gastric bypass surgery, the word pouch means something completely different. When the surgeon goes in and slices and dices, they seperate our stomach into two sections. The smaller section (the size of a thumb) is what becomes our new stomach, and is renamed our pouch.

Yes. My stomach is now my pouch.

At first, I thought it was kind of funny. I've done some surfing on web forums and people talk about the fact that their pouch likes this. Their pouch doesn't like that. Their pouch doesn't like liquids in the morning. Their pouch prefers room temperature water. And so on, and so on.

Here I am, post-surgery and although I feel a bit odd speaking of my stomach in the 3rd person (and like its an actual person), I do understand all these 'pouch-isms'!

No comments:

Post a Comment